Statement of Commitment
Virtual Elementary School (VES) is committed to meeting its obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (the “AODA” or the “Act”) and the related Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulations (the “IASR”).
Virtual Elementary School has developed a multi-year plan which outlines our strategy to prevent and remove barriers and meet the requirements under the AODA.
The Multi-Year Accessibility Plan will be reviewed and updated at least once every five (5) years, and as required.
Upon request, a copy of this Accessibility Plan will be provided in an accessible format free of charge.
Virtual Elementary School is committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities to access our services in a manner and format that respects dignity and independence. VES complied with the AODA’s Customer Service Standard with the following initiatives as of January 1, 2012:
- An accessibility policy was put in place so VES employees, volunteers, and customers can know what to expect.
- VES’s staff and volunteers are trained to serve customers of all abilities.
- A written record of accessibility training is maintained.
- Service animals and support persons are welcomed on all VES premises.
- Accessible ways for people to provide feedback on how VES provides goods and services to persons with disabilities was made available.
Information and Communications
VES currently provides accessible formats and communication supports for persons with disabilities upon request. VES provides notice to the public of this availability and consults with the person making such a request to determine the suitability of an accessible format or accommodation.
VES is committed to ensuring all internet websites and web content conform with Level AA of the WCAG 2.0 by January 1, 2021 as required by the AODA’s Information and Communications Standard.
Policies and Training
VES implements policies and initiatives in accordance with the AODA by taking the following steps:
- Implementing policies outlining VES’s commitment to accessibility
- Providing training to VES’s employees and volunteers on accessibility and human rights legislation as it pertains to persons with disabilities (Implemented and ongoing as new employees/volunteers join the company)
In accordance with the AODA’s Employment Standards, VES implemented the following initiatives after reaching 50 employees in December 2016:
- Ensure VES’s employment processes for hiring, retention, and career development are accessible.
- Document VES’s processes for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work plans.
- Provide individualized workplace emergency response information to employees who have disabilities where VES is aware of the need for accommodation.
Accessibility Plan Review
This Multi-Year Accessibility Plan will be reviewed and updated at least once every five (5) years. The current Accessibility Plan will be reviewed and updated where appropriate by January 1, 2022.
In 2012, VES ensured that it had accessible ways to receive and respond to feedback. VES will continue to ensure that there are accessible processes in place for receiving and responding to feedback from persons with disabilities. All feedback will be addressed in a timely manner.
VES submitted its accessibility compliance report confirming compliance with its accessibility obligations as of December 31, 2014. VES will file its next accessibility compliance report by December 31, 2023.
For more information on this Accessibility Plan, please contact the Human Resources Department: